The smell of chlorine was intoxicating as I past through the locker room door this afternoon, and as I drew in a long breath, I was momentarily transported back in time to when I loved inhaling the air at the swimming pool the most: moments right before a big race, the first day of practice after having a 3 week break in August, in the summer as I stood on the deck coaching, in the winter with fog settling over the pool inside the bubble... I absolutely love swimming and was so glad to jump into the pool at Tempelhof Berlin. It has been entirely too long since I've been away from the water.
I slipped into the water, outfitted in my new pink plaid Speedo suit, Georgia Tech Swim Club cap (gotta represent!), and sleek baby blue sprint goggles. The water felt familiar, and I let all of my surroundings melt away as I plunged toward the bottom in streamline and butterfly kicks. Soon enough I was swimming laps, dodging the significantly older swimmers doing their breaststroke workouts. Swimming was a little strange without lane ropes, but I was able to sort of make my own way in the center of the pool. Everyone there was super friendly, and I was dubbed the "professionale Schwimmerin" (the professional swimmer) jokingly by the regular crowd. My landlords and their daughter swim every Monday and Wednesday afternoon, and have invited me along - including negotiating a super fantastic membership fee for the rest of the time I'm here. I had so much fun riding to the pool with them by car, and Herr Fahrig even challenged me to a race of a stroke he affectionately called "the bathtub" (sculling to side as you lay on your back, with your toes pointing forward). I received a high-five for first place : )
We swam for about 45 minutes, showered and changed, and left the pool just as the little German children were arriving for group lessons. I loved seeing their excited faces as they lined up for their lesson, but part of me was really sad knowing that I won't be coaching this summer... I have coached every summer since I was 15, so this year will definitely be a change.
We made our way to the car through pouring rain, and upon our return, we shared a hot pot of coffee and some sweets at my landlords house. It was a really fun afternoon, including a workout for my German! And I am super excited to be back in the water with a swimming routine!
Hope all is well back home - sending lots of love from a Berlinerin professionale Schwimmerin!
