Happy New Year's!! I welcomed 2009 with a Bang in Berlin, literally, as thousands of fireworks lit up the entire city at midnight!!
For New Year's Eve, my friends from Poland plus some other Fulbrighters got together to celebrate the countdown in the capital. I had a dinner party in my apartment at 6pm, which was a lot of fun. With appetizers, bread, homemade sauces, vegetables, chicken, pasta, red wine, and champagne toasting, and a few more spills on my tablecloth (Dad you no longer are the only one! : ) our night got of to a great start. A group of 7 headed downtown to join in the festivities by the Brandenburg Gate. Berlin shuts down the heart of downtown, and lines the streets with food stands, mini bars, dancing stages, DJ booths, a giant ferris wheel, a huge stage for live music - all for free! We filed our way into the entrance, had our bags checked, and found a good spot along the 17. Juli Strasse just beyond the Brandenburg Gate on the Tiergarten side. There was a huge crowd, but I never felt unsafe or too packed in. We had plenty of space to chat and see the fireworks. The most amazing part was screaming out with the giant crowd the countdown til midnight in German and then cheering as fireworks lit up the sky from every direction! And I even received a New Years phone call all the way from the Peach Bowl from Kenny to welcome me to 2009! So my New Years was so much fun - one of the best I have ever experienced. After the fireworks, the music started back up and everyone was dancing in the street. I loved it. So welcome 2009!
Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year and sending lots of love in 2009!
Stopping to pose for a pic while dancing - Marco, Marty, Shane, Ashlan, and me

The crowd!




