My arrival was just in time for quesadilla night at the dorm, and I was already meeting a lot of Rachel's friends from the public policy school. After dinner we went to a political dance party, where Rachel and I busted out some truely American dance moves.
Friday morning we were up and ready to set out on Rachel's infamous Erfurt tour. A medieval city and once a critical trading juncture, Erfurt is a charming and very friendly city. Green and very walkable, we started Rachel's tour shopping around a flea market in the big square, then hitting all the important sites and taking the city in. I found the cathedrals dating back to the 8th century gorgeous and traced some of the steps from famous Germans leaving their mark in Erfurt - Luther and Goethe in particular. Rachel and I also found time to have lunch in a cute little cafe, stop for sinnfully delicious ice cream, shop a bit downtown, grab dinner at the Schnitzler, and have a drink out with Rachel's friend Heather. A really fun Friday!
The two Cathedrals at Domplatz
The flea market
Cute houses line the streets of Erfurt
Enjoying the picturesque tour
Political rallis happened all weekend, including the Environmental Minister speaking on behalf of the SPDSaturday morning I awoke to fresh cut strawberries and homemade pancakes - yummy! The weather was pretty cold and rainy, putting a damper on outside activities. We lounged a bit in a really cute coffee shop playing chess and then ran a few errands. Rachel was throwing a party at her dorm that night, and I was going to be able to meet most of her fellow ESPP students. We were fully party prepped and cooked dinner for a few of Rachel's close girlfriends. Then the room filled up quickly with the master students chatting and American music. The party was a lot of fun, and I had a great time playing games, dancing, and meeting new people!


Heather, Rachel, Laura, and Evaline
