Sunday, August 17, 2008

My first blog and my first week in Germany!

I have officially kicked off the start of a new adventure in Germany! I am settled in the quaint, German town of Marburg in ein Studentendorf on top of a hill that overlooks the city. Of course this means I have to trek down the "mountain" everyday to get into the city, the university, the grocery store, and everything else in between. Then only to climb the almost vertical paved pathway leading back up to my very small dorm room. But the area is absolutely gorgeous, and I have little to complain about other than the hill.

This week was definatley a roller coaster, with lots of highs and some dips that were a little less high. I have met so many vibrant and brilliant people so far. Everyone is very friendly, and I already know that I will establish several close friendships while on the Fulbright. We had orientation, delicious dinners, and an extensive tour of Marburg. We also started our language courses and had some free time. I am in level 3 of 4 language groups, but speaking German in class and around town has definately been the biggest challenge - and at times outright frustrating. I live with only German students on my hall, and I have been able to talk to 2 of them for a long time. So hopefully things will look brighter on the language front. I did not have internet nor a cell phone until today, so I have also been a little lonely at times when I am back in my room by myself. I miss everyone so much!! But these moments have been few, and I am so glad to participate in the Fulbright program. I can't wait to share more excitement and stories of my adventures while in Germany : )

I will post some pictures!!

Tschuess.