Monday, July 20, 2009

Greg, Stowe, and Goodbye Berlin

It's the final countdown....

I will be in home in 5 days!!!

Though I am super excited to get back to Hotlanta, see my family and friends, and start UGA law, things are wrapping up so bittersweet here. I am finally fully adjusted, love being at the Freie Universitaet, have the best friends here, and love, love, love Berlin in the summer. I am in the middle of a whirlwind apartment cleaning, de-registering from everything Berlin, and packing - but I am starting to get really sad to leave this city and my life here. It is absolutely crazy to see everything in boxes and suitcases.

I am so thankful and feel so blessed to have had this opportunity. I have made so many invaluable connections and forever Fulbright friendships. And I can hardly believe how much I have grown/accomplished/survived over this past year. My German has improved tremendously - I can carry on small talk at a party, navigate this sprawling city, dish the sass back when necessary, and give a presentation auf Deutsch. And it almost seems too easy getting things in order for UGA come fall - things are in English and the housing search isn't nearly as crazy (and also thanks to the amazing help from my parents in overcoming all the whole transatlantic difficulties : ) And did I mention how much I love my friends? I will definitely miss the people the most.

I am ready to move on to the next stage, the next challenge, the next adventure - but I am sad to finish my Fulbright time. I am a Berlinerin : ) And I think I will probably experience a bit of reverse culture shock upon my return (perhaps not too much though - I am a Georgia Peach too : ).

My past week was really great though. Greg and Stowe came to visit, and we had tons of fun reunited and enjoying Berlin together. On top of their visit, I finished my university classes and my energy security article! Soo excited to wrap up my research and work here. Two weekends ago brought goodbye parties, and I had tons of fun my last weekend in Berlin out on the town. So super busy here. Posted some pictures of goodbye parties, and Greg + Stowe's trip. My goodbye party in Berlin is the next on the list....

The Volksbuehne under repair and their summer show
With Greg at Suss war Gestern

Ladies by a piece of the Wall

Patrick and his Tandem partner at the goodbye cookout

Greg and Stow in the park
With Greg enjoying the cookout
Hannah and Patrick's goodbye cookout
With the German contingent
With Will
Catherine and Stowe at the Tate's goodbye party
Jill, Greg, and me
Stowe, Greg, and Catherine out dancing
Lauren, Jason, and Jill
Stowe and I at the Victory Column
3 Best Friends at the Gate